PLEASE NOTE!

I am currently focusing on my work supporting Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action (gzcenter.org), so you will not find me posting here (except on rare occasion). I am, however, keeping my extensive listing of links related to (almost) all things nuclear up to date. Drop me an email at outreach@gzcenter.org if you find a broken or out-of-date link. Thanks and Peace, Leonard


Sunday, March 29, 2009

Darn, No More "Nucular"

Friends,

I've been listening to President Obama speak lately, and it has been such a refreshing change to have someone in The White House who has a real command of the English language; as well as the issues at hand. Not that English is the only language that is of any value; but if one is going to speak English, especially if one is the President of the United States, it is nice to hear more than just the words one finds in a Dick and Jane Reader.

I don't find myself cringing anymore when there is a press conference or other opportunity for the President to speak. But the big thing for me is - PRAISE THE LORD - that our new president can enunciate the word N-U-C-L-E-A-R. It quite literally rolls off his tongue with such fluid precision that I nearly cried the first time I heard him say it; "NUCLEAR". Aaaah... When one is speaking of that mushroom cloud, nuclear winter, you nuke me-I'll nuke you kind of topic, it is important to show some respect for that word - don't you think?




I have been looking for some kind of closure regarding the Bush Administration, and although I was hoping for something on a larger scale, such as indictment for war crimes, I am so grateful for a President who is able to speak with such clear and impressive enunciation that I think I am ready to let it go and move on.

Peace (and quiet),

Leonard


P.S. - Just kidding about that "moving on" thing. I am not really letting it go that easily. Check out IndictBushNow.org. No one is above the law!!!




For further edification: Why Does Bush Go "Nucular"? in Slate.com from 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment